Frequently Asked Questions
1. What computers or operating systems does the Critical Languages Series run on?
- The DVD-ROM products work with Windows XP*/Vista/7/8.
- The CD-ROM products work with Windows XP*/Vista/7/8, but may require a downloadable update:
*Please note that while our products have been tested to work on Windows XP, we can no longer provide technical support if you use XP due to the end of Microsoft's support for it. We recommend users upgrade to a secure operating system such as Windows 7 or Windows 8.
2. Do the products come with written materials?
The products do not come with printed lesson materials, but you are free to print out lessons, resources, and quizzes for personal and classroom use. The CD/DVD-ROM titles come with a quick reference booklet for information on using the software.
3. What about site licenses or volume purchases?
We do not currently offer site licenses for the Critical Languages Series. For volume purchases, call the University of Arizona Press at 1-800-621-2736 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For CD/DVD-ROMs, The UA Press gives a 30% discount on purchases of 10 or more at a time.
4. Can I duplicate the products for my students?
Duplication and subscription sharing are not permitted. Our products are licensed for individual use and are priced accordingly. Duplication of the products is a violation of copyright law and is illegal. Some elements of the Critical Languages Series have copy protection. See the CLS Software License for more information.
5. Can we use the products in the classroom?
We encourage instructors to use the products in the classroom and many Universities and institutions have adopted them. We recommend treating our products as textbooks in the sense that instructors require the students to purchase the materials for a specific class. That way, students may use the product at home or in the computer lab. Students may print the lessons out to take notes or for classroom discussions.
6. What is your return policy?
The Critical Languages Series CD/DVD-ROMs are non-returnable unless the media is defective. Please check the system requirements for the product you are interested in before purchasing.
7. Is the Critical Languages Series the equivalent of a college course? Can I use it to earn credit at my high school or college?
While each product is designed to cover the material of a one-year college course, and while many institutions use the Critical Languages Series as a text for language courses, we do not provide an instructor/evaluator and cannot offer credit. You will need to be enrolled at an institution that offers classes in the language.